Here's how the system works:
- The BD Sharps Disposal by Mail can be purchased in your local pharmacy. The container holds up to 300 pen needles or lancets, or up to 100 insulin syringes. The kit includes a red wrapping bag and a postage-paid mailing box.
- Put your used insulin syringes, pen needles and lancets into the container.
When the sharps container is full, seal it. Place it into the red bag. Then place the bag inside the mailing box.
- Fill out the tracking form and keep a copy for your records.
- Give the closed postage paid mailing box to your mail carrier or bring it to the post office.
- When the mailing box reaches the treatment facility, the tracking form is scanned and a certificate of destruction is mailed back to you, confirming the destruction of your sharps container.